Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

1. Do I need a law degree to apply to the LL.M. program?
Yes, applicants must have a juris doctor degree or the first/basic degree in law from a non-U.S. law school.
2. Do you have a part-time LL.M. program?
No, our program is full-time for one academic year. All LL.M. candidates must enroll full-time for two (2) semesters.
3. When does the program begin?
Arrival date: Approximately 7 August
Orientation dates: Tentative 13 - 16 August
First day of classes: 19 August

We recommend that you plan to arrive at least one week before orientation in order to get acclimated to the time difference and environment before starting the program.
4. May I apply for spring admission?
No, LL.M. candidates must start the program in the fall semester.
5. Do you offer on-line courses?
No, we do not.
6. I am currently enrolled in another LL.M. program. May I transfer the credits to TTU's LL.M. program?
No, TTU School of Law does not accept transfer credits for the LL.M. program.
7. Do I need to take the LSAT?
No, the LSAT is not required for the LL.M. program.
8. What are your LL.M. application deadlines?
The Preferred Deadline for submission of your application is 1 March, but late applications will be considered on a space available basis. Applications will be evaluated, and invitations to participate in the 2013-2014 LL.M. class will be extended on a rolling basis, so early applications are encouraged.
9. What test do you require to show English proficiency?
Applicants whose primary language is not English or whose education has been in a language other than English must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language exam ("TOEFL") or the International English Language Testing System exam ("IELTS"). The required minimum TOEFL score will be 100 on the Next Generation (Internet-based) Test, 250 on the computer-based test, or 600 on the paper-based test. The required minimum IELTS score will be a 7. Qualifying language scores must be less than two years old. In addition, each applicant will be required to participate in a face to face (either in person or via video conference) interview with at least one member of the faculty. We offer conditional admission to students who do not meet the minimum TOEFL or IELTS requirements on a case-by-case basis.
10. When are application decisions made?
The LL.M. Admissions Committee reviews applications on a rolling basis, so early applications are encouraged.
11. How will I be notified of my admissions decision?
An email notification of admissions is sent to the applicants who are offered admission, followed by a formal letter of admission.
12. How do you make application decisions?
The Admissions Committee may consider various personal, professional, and academic measures, including but not limited to the following: academic performance, work and professional experience, personal statement, letters of recommendation, language scores, and video-conference or in-person interviews.
13. How do I get my visa?
Once you are admitted, the Office of International Affairs will notify you on what documents are required and how to apply for your visa.
14. If I am admitted, but am unable to attend, is it possible to defer until the following year?
If compelling reasons are presented, it is possible to defer admission to the following academic year. If a deferral is needed, submit a letter to the LL.M. Admissions Committee requesting the deferral. You will be notified by mail if the deferral is granted.
15. Can LL.M. students transfer into the J.D. program?
Students enrolled in or graduates of the LL.M. in U.S. Legal Studies may apply to the J.D. program as transfer students and, if admitted, the law school may apply some portion of their LL.M. credits toward the J.D. degree. LL.M. candidates or graduates must apply for admission to the J.D. program such that enrollment in the J.D. program will begin no later than four years after enrollment in the LL.M. program.
16. How do students select and register for courses?
Please be aware that current J.D. students pre-register for fall classes during the previous spring semester. We do reserve some places in courses that may be popular with LL.M. students; however, some courses may be full and it may not be possible to obtain every desired course. Course availability may change up to the 5th class day in the fall and spring semester, as students drop or add courses during this period, and you may be able to obtain preferred classes at that time.
17. When will I pay my tuition and fees bill?
Student Business Services will send out an email to all students with the payment date. Usually, payment is due a week before classes starts.
18. Is it possible to get a part-time job while studying at TTU?
Students with an F-1 or J-1 visa may work on-campus only for up to 20 hours per week during the semesters.
19. Can I work in the U.S. after finishing my LL.M. degree at TTU Law?
Your work opportunities in the United States depend on your immigration status and the type of visa you obtain. For example, most LL.M. students in F-1 immigration status may apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT) to work in a law-related job in the United States for up to one year after graduation. Before applying for OPT, students must attend an OPT training session with the Office of International Affairs (
20. Do I need a car in Lubbock?
Transportation is easier with a car, however many students do not buy a car and are fine. The university has a shuttle bus system along with the city bus system. TTU students may ride on the buses at no charge with their student Identification Cards (ID Cards.) Bicycles are also available to rent at no charge from the Office of International Affairs on a first-come, first-served basis. A free taxi service is also available to transport students from a campus location to their home between the hours of 7:00pm and 1:00am with a TTU Student Identification Card (ID)
21. I am a current U.S. resident but not a citizen. Am I still considered a foreign lawyer?
For purposes of admission to the LL.M. program, a foreign lawyer is anyone regardless of immigration status, whose law degree was earned outside of the United States.
22. If I receive an LL.M. degree from TTU, am I eligible for admission to a U.S State Bar?
To practice law in the United States, a person must hold a valid license issued by the licensing authority of the individual state in which the person wishes to practice. Because of the vast differences between the requirements of the various states around the country, and the diversity of information (both personal and public) requested, LL.M. candidates are responsible for conducting their own research in making these important decisions. As always, we will stand ready to provide you with any information that may assist with your research and decision-making in this area. If you would like to receive initial research ideas and resource materials to begin your investigation, feel free to send us a request at