|Director of Career Services (2011)
Paula Smith has been Director of Career Services at Texas Tech Law since 2011. As the Director, she provides one-on-one counseling to both students and alumnae, assisting in development of individualized strategies for career search and success. Each Fall Paula, with the Career Services team, conduct class-specific roundtable meetings with 3L, 2L, and first year law students communicating opportunities in the year ahead and answering questions and concerns facing each group. Throughout the year, the Career Services team provides job acquisition training workshops for students as well as career choice panels, presentations, and networking events.
Paula leads the employer relations function which connects employers to students and graduates. The efforts of the Career Services team to build relationships include outreach to many types of legal employers including law firms, government, judicial, and in-house organizations. Corporate employer outreach seeks to uncover opportunities for graduates who desire a non-traditional use of their legal education. Specialized niche marketing efforts include promotion of joint degrees, concentration programs, and highlighting geographic target markets and target practice areas via resume books, attending CLE sessions, and personal visits. The Texas Tech Law Career Services Center offers employers friendly, convenient, and cost-efficient recruiting methods including job postings, Fall and Spring On-Campus Interviewing, the latest video teleconferencing facilities and resources, and resume book access.
Paula Smith received her Juris Doctor from Texas Tech Law in 2001 where she served as Student Editor of the Texas Bank Lawyer for two years. She earned Jurisprudence Awards in Administrative Law, Dispute Resolution, and Disability Law. She received her Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration with minor in Economics from Regis College in Denver, CO. Upon graduation from Texas Tech School of Law, Paula practiced with the firm of Key & Terrell, LLP focusing on banking, employment, real estate and probate law. Paula has experience in management and human resources in the travel, manufacturing, human services, and telecommunications industries.
You can reach Paula Smith at (806) 834-8814 or by email at email@example.com.
PROFESSIONAL LICENSES AND ADMISSIONS
- State Bar of Texas, 2001
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern District of Texas
- Buckner Children and Family Services, My Father’s House Lubbock
- Texas Tech University School of Music Friends of Music Board of Directors
- Delta Gamma Fraternity – Honor Board Advisor 2011-12, Collegiate Chapter Advisory Team Chairman, Alumnae Board of Directors, House Corporation Board of Directors
PRESENTATIONS AND SERVICE
- National Association for Law Placement (NALP) Presentation, Legal Jobs Niche Marketing – Opening Doors to Opportunities, 2013
- Thomson Reuters Academic Advisory Board, 2013
- Texas Tech University Inaugural Pre-Law Academy Presentation – Building a Legal Resume with High Value Experiences, 2013
- Texas A & M University Pre-Law Society Presentation – Understanding Legal Employment, 2013
- Texas Tech University School of Law, Orientation Ethics Panelist, 2005 and 2006
- Texas Tech University, Rawls College of Business, MBA Interview Skills Panelist, 2006
- Department of Justice, Bureau of Prisons UNICOR Annual Meeting Guest Speaker, 2005 "Meeting the Needs of the Private Sector"