Certificate FAQs

How do I apply to TTU for the Certificate in Health Law?
Any student admitted into the TTU J.D. program is eligible to apply for and enroll in the Certificate program. Prospective students should contact the law school admissions office for information on general law school admissions.
How do I become admitted to the Certificate program?
In the Spring semester a studentís first year of law school, they are eligible to apply for and enroll in the Certificate program. In order to enroll, a student must complete the certificate application form and should submit the completed application to the Health Law Program Director. Students should fill out the application during the Spring semester of the student's first year of law school.
What are the Certificate requirements?
In order to earn the Certificate, students must:
  1. Apply: Students complete the Certificate Application and submit it to Professor Brie Sherwin.
  2. Health Law Course Work: Certificate students must take and earn a grade of C or better in the identified core courses, core electives, and sub-specialty electives. A list of classes available to satisfy this requirement is provided prior to each academic semester and is posted online.
  3. Health Law Practice Externship: Certificate students must gain supervised experience in a health law practice setting. Typically students will be expected to satisfy this requirement by enrolling in the School's externship program. Alternatively, with prior approval of the Health Law Program Director, students may satisfy this requirement with employment in a practice setting (ordinarily with a government agency, a non-profit provider, or advocacy organization) that commonly involves health law legal work such as research or drafting.
  4. Health Law Paper: Students must complete a substantial paper of high quality (minimum of 25 pages) on a health law issue. Typically this requirement will be satisfied by a paper written for a designated health law course or through an independent-directed research with a faculty member.
I have completed my practical experience externship. Now what do I do?
If you satisfied your practical experience requirement through the law school externship program, you do not need additional documentation. If you satisfied your requirement through a pre-approved position outside the law school, you may be required to submit a letter from your supervising attorney stating (1) the length of time you worked with the office, (2) how much you worked (e.g. 10 hours per week or full time in the summer), (3) and that while you were working with the office, you completed a substantial number of health law related projects. It is appropriate for the letter to describe some of the types of projects you completed.
I am interested in your program. Can you send me some materials?
All our brochures and information is available online through the TTU Health Law website. If you have reviewed the information and still have questions about our programs, please feel free to contact the TTU School of Law Admissionís Office at (806) 742-3990 ext. 273.
What types of jobs do your students take after graduation?
Recent graduates have obtained jobs at mid-size to large law firms specializing in health law; large health care systems and hospitals; and federal and state agencies such as the Department of Health and Human Services. All students' post-graduation opportunities are substantively diverse, and while most are commonly located within Texas, there are also numerous employment opportunities available in other geographical locations.