- NEWS: Out of the top 3,000 Top Law Authors on SSRN based on downloads of articles in the past 12 months, Professor Beyer ranked #36 as of August 1, 2013. To see the complete rankings, please visit:
- NEWS: Professor Rosen was interviewed by Brian Lehrer (WNYC Radio) for NPR News Radio about the trial of Nidal Hasan, the man accused of killing 13 people and wounding 32 others at Fort Hood. See http://www.wnyc.org/shows/bl/2013/aug/14/ft-hood-trial/ for a link to the audio segment.
- Week of August 8 - August 14, 2013
- CITED: Professor Casto’s article “The Origins of Federal Admiralty Jurisdiction in an Age of Privateers, Smugglers and Pirates” was cited in the following law journal article:
Graydon S. Staring, Commerce and Tradition as Gatekeepers of Admiralty: Falsity and Futility, 44 J. MAR. L. & COM. 323 (2013).
- CITED: Dean Dickerson’s article “Deposition Dilemmas: Vexatious Scheduling and Errata Sheets” and Professor Weninger’s article “Electronic Discovery and Sanctions for Spoliation: Perspectives from the Classroom” were cited in the following treatise:
KARL B. TEGLAND, 14 WASH. PRAC., CIVIL PROCEDURE § 21:38 (2d ed.)
- CITED: Seven of Professor Beyer’s articles were recently cited in the just-released edition of a national casebook, JESSE DUKEMINIER & ROBERT H. SITKOFF, WILLS TRUSTS, AND ESTATES (9th ed. 2013). They are:
Gerry W. Beyer & Naomi Cahn, When you Pass On, Don’t Leave the Passwords Behind, 26 PROB. & PROP. 40 (Jan./Feb. 2012). [page 43]
- Gerry W. Beyer, Avoiding the Estate Planning “Blue Screen of Death” – Common Non-Tax Errors and How to Prevent Them, 1 EST. PLAN & COMMUNITY PROP. L.J. 61 (2008). [page 52]
Gerry W. Beyer & Claire G. Hargrove, Digital Wills: Has the Time Come for Wills to Join the Digital Revolution?, 33 OHIO N.U. L. REV. 865 (2007). [page 164]
- Gerry W. Beyer, Will Contests-Prediction and Prevention, 4 EST. PLAN & COMMUNITY PROP. L.J. 1 (2011). [page 310]
Aloysius A. Leopold & Gerry W. Beyer, Ante-Mortem Probate: A Viable Alternative, 43 ARK. L. REV. 131 (1990). [page 313]
Gerry W. Beyer & Jonathan P. Wilkerson, Max’s Taxes: A Tax-Based Analysis of Pet Trusts, 43 U. RICH. L. REV. 1219 (2009). [page 423]
Gerry W. Beyer, Pet Animals: What Happens When Their Humans Die?, 40 SANTA CLARA L. REV. 617, 618 (2000). [page 424]
- CITED: Professor Bard was mentioned in a blog post regarding her upcoming participation in the October 2013 American Society for Bioethics + Humanities Annual Meeting. She will host a session titled “Presumed Consent Laws Are Not the Answer to Increasing Organ Donation: How Can We Find Out What Is?”. To read more, see the following:
- Thaddeus Mason Pope, Four Must-Go Health Law Conferences, MEDICAL FUTILITY BLOG (August 12, 2013, 4:00 AM),http://medicalfutility.blogspot.com/2013/08/four-must-go-health-law-conferences.html.
- CITED: Professor Murphy’s article “Punitive Damages, Explanatory Verdict, and the Hard Look” was cited in the following treatise:
KEVIN F. O’MALLEY ET AL., 1 FED. JURY PRAC. & INSTR. § 8:8 (6th ed.).
- QUOTED: Professor Rosen was quoted in the following news broadcasts and newspaper articles regarding the trial of Nidal Hasan, the man accused of killing 13 people and wounding 32 others at Fort Hood. To read more, see the following:
Video: Erin Burnett OutFront, Attorney: Fort Hood gunman wants dealth penalty (Aug. 7, 2013), http://outfront.blogs.cnn.com/2013/08/07/attorney-fort-hood-gunman-wants-death-penalty/.
- Kate McGee, What You Need to Know From Day One of the Fort Hood Trial, KUT NEWS, August 7, 2013, at http://www.kutnews.org/post/what-you-need-know-day-one-fort-hood-trial.
Paul J. Weber & Nomaan Merchant, Lawyer: Hasan intent on getting death sentence, ASSOCIATED PRESS, August 8, 2013, at http://news.yahoo.com/lawyer-hasan-intent-getting-death-sentence-154249259.html. [reprinted in Military Times, Salt Lake Tribune, NBC News, Boston Globe, Canadian Press, and others]
- Molly Hennessy-Fiske, Hasan legal advisors seek diminished role, LOS ANGELES TIMES, August 8, 2013, at 7.
Martin Kaste, Defense Lawyers Want Out of Fort Hood Shooting Trial, NPR MORNING EDITION, August 8, 2013, http://www.npr.org/2013/08/08/210062396/defense-lawyers-want-out-of-fort-hood-shooting-trial.
- David Usborne, Trial in jeopardy as lawyers claim Fort Hood killer has ‘death wish’, INDEPENDENT, August 8, 2013, http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/trial-in-jeopardy-as-lawyers-claim-fort-hood-killer-has-death-wish-8752915.html.
Nick Allen, Fort Hood soldier pleaded for life; Massacre details, NATIONAL POST, August 8, 2013, at A8.
- Action News Now, ABC 13 KTNV-NV, August 8, 2013, 6:04.
Early Start with Banfield & Zoraida, CNN, August 8, 2013.
Scott Huddleston & Sig Christenson, Lawyers say Hasan is seeking the death penalty, SAN ANTONIO EXPRESS-NEWS, August 8, 2013, at 1.
- Karen Brooks, Update 3- Wounded soldiers tell trial of surviving Fort Hood massacre, REUTERS NEWS, August 9, 2013.
Today Show, NBC NEWS, August 8, 2013.
Ethan Rosenberg, Fort Hood Suspect Nidal Hasan to Continue Defending Himself, U.S. NEWS & WORLD REPORT, August 8, 2013.
- Philip Jankowski, Long legal road ahead if Hasan gets death, KILLEEN DAILY HERALD, August 11, 2013, http://kdhnews.com/military/hasan_trial/long-legal-road-ahead-if-hasan-gets-death/article_ebe87d26-024b-11e3-a28b-0019bb30f31a.html